What is Google’s ‘Possum’ algorithm update? Many SEOs saw major shifts around September 1st – this has been due to Penguin 4.0 real time algorithm (Google update)
But if you think that your website might have been hit by one (or both?) of these updates, How to know which one that was? Impacted your websites…
What is “Possum” update? — Possum rolled out on September 1st, 2016
1. In Possum update IP location becomes more important
2. Businesses that are outside the physical city area got a boost in ranking
3. Sharing the same address with similar local businesses can make you less visible in the search results
How to make Google Local more visible
Make your business listing information as unique and accurate as possible.
Check that your business is listed on all possible local resources and directories.
Verify your business descriptions and proofread them from beginning to end.
Add high-quality images and videos to your listings.
Inspire your customers to leave Google reviews.
What is “Penguin 4.0″ update? – Penguin 4.0 rolled out on same September 1st, 2016
1. Penguin 4.0 is not a site-wide negative ranking factor anymore
2. 4.0 Penguin is a real-time Google algorithm, if your site gets penalized for unnatural links, No need to wait for ages till Google launches the refresh
Why your site is penalized by Penguin4.0?
1. Links coming from poor quality, “spammy” sites;
2. Links coming from sites created purely for SEO link building (PBNs);
3. Links coming from topically irrelevant sites;
4. Paid links;
5. Links with overly optimized anchor text.